Friday 17 June 2011

To buy or not to buy?

Bernie sent me a link to this Manurhin for sale, suggesting I should cut my losses and save the ripped knuckles and loss of sleep and just buy it.
As advertised on www.cotswold-classics.co.uk
I must admit it is tempting.  At just the cost of a handlebar switch under a thousand pounds, I think this is a great price.  It makes me think that my own project is really just a hobby and certainly not an investment.  I am currently up to £321 on my spend, and there is plenty more to go - the powder coating on my Vespa cost £300 alone! So there is not much money to be made in resuscitating an incomplete non-runner (I should have listened to my dads advice who told me to never buy a non-runner)

I tried to justify to Bernie my reasons for not simply buying a running machine.  I didn't have a rational argument (and I hope my wife never puts me to the test on this - she always wins our arguments) other than;

  1. I like a mechanical challenge - it keeps my mind occupied
  2. I like an excuse to tinker in my garage - it is my escape and is good for the soul
  3. I've rather enjoyed talking with the people I've met so far on this project - I don't think I'd find the same community simply by just being an owner.  I think you have to earn your badge :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment