Saturday 4 June 2011

Rear wheel investigation

When stripping the frame down the other day I was curious as to why the rear brake cable was secured to the frame on the opposite side to the brake drum.  My arrangement has the brake drum on the off-side of the wheel and the chain sprocket on the near-side of the wheel - and yet the brake cable was secured to the near-side of the frame.  The wheel had clearly been removed in its recent years as it was loose, there was no chain, and the brake cable was not attached.  I thought nothing of it and assumed that someone had simply not reassembled it correctly.










Looking at the technical drawings, I think the rear wheel should have the chain sprocket and the brake drum on the same side of the wheel.  So what have I got?





I stripped the wheel down to investigate, and it is clear that what I have is not what is in the technical drawing.  Was there a variation that I dont have drawings for? or have i got a bodged rear wheel?
The brake assemble looks to be all there and in good order, but the (galvanised!) sprocket had been bolted on with home-shortened bolts.

I was quite enthusiastic about the bike first thing this morning, but now I feel depressed again - perhaps this bike is missing too many things to ever be hopeful of bringing it back to life

No comments:

Post a Comment