Monday 13 June 2011

I have a Carburettor

Hoorah!
I have got a carburettor!
Reg put me on to Roy, and Roy had a bunch of parts that he was happy to sell to me in order to recoup some of his expenses so far on his own Manurhin project.

Roy has clearly been researching and working on his project for a while and had a lot of information to share.  We spent a good hour chatting on the phone before getting down to the dirty business of trading.
The fantastic thing was that not only did Roy have a Carb, but he had a Beltomatic ignition breaker as well (that curious spring arrangement on the end of the driver pulley)
I was very happy to agree to his suggestion of £70 and he included a photocopy set of the Manurhin parts manual (in English!)



Now i actually have one of these spring devices in my hand, I can see how it works and actually if push had come to shove, I could easily have replicated this with a home made device.  However, having the real thing is a delight.  I must say when first saw the broken bit on my engine I was quite disappointed - I thought that this was going to be virtually impossible for me to source - especially as most bits I'd seen for sale on places like eBay were of the DKW Hobby lever type arrangement.

I am starting to deduce that perhaps my Scooter is a little younger than the 1957 that I'd originally assumed.  Im not sure how or why I came up with 1957 in the first place - I think Rui had written it in the eBay ad when I bought the scooter in the first place, but I dont think he was in any better position to assume it was a 1957 machine.
My change of mind about its date of manufacture is coming now down to this french designed beltomatic ignition control device.  Manurhin took the licence to build these scooters from DKW in 1957.  They only manufactured for a few years, but the development of the ignition cut-out switch safety feature (as opposed to the DKW clutch lever) was some time into the manufacture of the french scooters - So maybe my bike is more like a 1959 model?
I think I shall have to get onto the Vintage Motor Scooter Club to help me verify the age of this bike

 Complete with the carburettor is the right angle mounting pipe (manifold) to the cylinder barrel, and the rubber breather pipe (complete with filter) that reaches round from the carb to the engine casing.

The rubber pipe has got some perished cracks in it, but nothing that cant be fixed with some rubber repair compound


I was so excited that Roy had a Carburettor to sell that I didn't even ask him what sort, or what condition.  So it was a nice little surprise to find that its a Gurtner Carb.

Once production was underway in France, the Gurtner J14-454 was the carb of choice for Manurhin.  DKW Hobbys were fitted with Bing 4-14-1 carburettors and it would appear that most carbs that Ive seen for sale for Manurhin/Hobby are Bings.

Incidentally, I did find (via the very helpful Constance at BingPower in Germany) a chap called Klaus Faak, a "dealer in oldtimer spare parts" at Faak-Tillmanns, who told me he could supply a new Bing carb to my specifications for 350euros.  While this sort of price is way beyond my budget, its good to know there is a fall back.

I dont know what the condition is inside the carb (or if indeed its ever been robbed of jets and float) but I do see I am going to have to do a little work on the fuel-in banjo which should fit over the little brass thread in the center of this photo

All in all - Excellent news.  I am very excited.  I am getting closer :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment