Tuesday 28 June 2011

A few French parts

Im not sure if I've done the right thing here.
A short while back, I found a chap on a French website selling some parts for a Manurhin scooter.  I contacted him and enquired about a carburettor (i still needed one at that stage), rear light and switches.
He initially thought he could help me with the carb, but it didnt come off.  But he did have a whole load of other parts that I might be interested in.


He sent me some photos and asked me to indicate any bits that I wanted.  There was nothing I REALLY needed right now, but certainly some parts that I was going to need one day and so I made an offer.  We eventually agreed on a price for the parts and postage.

So for £71, I now own
1 x rear wheel hub (the sort with the cush-drive - I'm not sure if this is the sort I should have on my bike)
1 x set of wheel spokes (in case i do decide to rebuild my rear wheel with this alternative hub)
2 x brake cables (I havent checked them, but the bike came with out cables so I'm hoping these are the right ones)
1 x chain (again, i needed one)
1 x new cylinder head gasket
2 x covers for the handle bar switches (I think these were the bits that most attracted me - eventually I will find the switches I want but who knows in what condition - now at least I have some clean covers for them)

I think I have paid far too much money for these bits  (the postage was never going to be cheap coming from France) but I have them now, and perhaps I am going to have to get used to spending a bit of cash now and then just to make a little bit of head way

As an aside, all this negotiation with the French man was conducted by via 'Google Translate' translations - its not always 100% accurate, but it's jolly good and I am extremely grateful for the service.  I simply wouldn't have been able to make the communications 10 years ago (well certainly not as easily and quickly)
I have put a translation gadget at the foot of this blog for the benefit of people who might need words translating now and then

1 comment: