Wednesday 8 June 2011

Searching Searching Searching

The interesting thing about this project is that so far I don't seem to be getting my hands dirty very often.  Usually with a 'project' I like to slip out to the garage in the evenings while the family are watching some rubbish on the TV, but so far most of my free evenings seem to be in front of a computer screen searching for engine bits.

I've been searching websites for parts AND for people.  When I am not bidding on some parts, I am sending speculative emails to people who might have something to offer (in either parts, knowledge or contacts) and I have been delighted by the lovely response I've been having from all sorts of people.  I love the way someone will say "I think I know of someone who....... " and a brand new connection will emerge.
So far I have perhaps a dozen 'Manurhin contacts' in my list.  Some I'm still awaiting replies on, but many have been really very helpful and interested.  I wont share too much detail about these people on this blog (other than the fact that I appear to have a little collection of Ron's, Ray's, and Reg's), but I am very happy to facilitate connections for anyone who might be interested.  And this makes me wonder yet again if there is (or should be) a Manurhin owners register or club.  Everyone seems to have a number of contacts, but no-one has them all joined up, and many of the people I have spoken to so far are also searching for missing parts for their own projects.  It would seem to me to be very easy to set up a little network where we could trade parts amongst ourselves and help to look out for each others missing parts.

A conversation with one such chap tonight has indeed come up with some vital parts for my engine :-) - more on that in a later post

As much as I love searching for Manurhin stuff on the internet, I am very much looking forward to doing some work on this bike that requires me to get some oil under my fingernails again :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment