Sunday 22 May 2011

What have I got? (and NOT got)

I was keen to have a bit of an explore today, so camera in hand, this is what I discovered

cobwebs verify its a 'barn-find' - good to see the aluminum hole trim still there


I love this rear end.  Though I suspect that isnt an original rear light.  Saddles knackered


No dinks or dents! (though that floor pan is a bit kinked)  Note the lack of starter pull


Headstock appears to have been hand painted, but the speedo is in good nick

Missing headlamp glass and Manurhin badge, but body looking good


Floor pan sound and runners dont look bad either (though the OS outer aluminum strip is missing)

Dented leg-shield but its no more than a pull over the knee to fix that

Cowl open to reveal the running gear

Missing starter mechanism and engine cowl (hmm big disappointment)


View under the floor - surface rust only? I have yet to have a poke

Odd levers?  and no electrical switches

So on first close inspection I'm both a little excited and a little disappointed.  There appears to be an awful lot missing - trouble is I don't know exactly what is missing!
Interestingly, the bodywork appears remarkably sound - a little surface rust here and there, but no rot.  By contrast to my recent Vespa rebuild, it would seem that this new project is going to be heavy on the mechanicals and light on the tinwork

Before I make any major decisions, I think I'll get the engine out for a closer inspection

No comments:

Post a Comment