Sunday 22 May 2011

Collecting my new project

Now you have to remember, I bought this bike because I liked the look of it.  I had no idea what it was or if it was complete.  I simply thought it looked nice.
Some people might think this is a foolish and perhaps shallow way to buy something, and some people might say I had more money than sense.
I, however, think this is a jolly good way to choose a project.  If you are going to working on a project for fun, surely its better to be working on something you like, rather than something that might be a good investment but isnt actually particularly interesting or stimulating.

This said however, it was still a nail-biting 2 hour drive in a hired transit down to St Albans to collect my new project.
Was it complete?  The ebay description said "seems to be all there." - "SEEMS" kept ringing in my head!
Was it genuine?  The ebay description said "came from a barn clear out and there are no docs" - Barn Find!?? Surely there are no more 'barn finds' these days?
Was it a rust bucket?  Visions of rotten Vespa floor pans still haunted me.

Well would you believe it? it turns out that my scooter was indeed part of a genuine barn find.  It was amongst 40 odd scooters and mopeds found in a barn in Scotland - How exciting would that be to discover!?  Apparently, many years ago a local number plate dealer started buying cheap bikes and stripping of them of their valuable registration numbers - the bikes themselves were simply discarded and piled up in a barn.
The chap who had bought this job lot and was now selling them was a complete scooter enthusiast - it was very exciting to meet him.  His intention was to buy and sell most of them so that by the end of the whole deal he would be left with his 3 favourite scooters (in effect for 'free').

My bitten nails weren't completely unfounded - It was clear that some parts were missing.  My heart dropped a little when I saw the space where a carburetor should be :-(  BUT on the up side - It WAS a lovely looking thing :-)  What made my wife say it looked like a camel, actually made be think 'beautiful'.

I think the pleasure was worth a couple of hundred quid.


The question now, as I drove the 100 miles back home with a Manurhin in the back of my van, was;
Do I keep it and work on it? or shall I get rid of it and cut my losses now?

No comments:

Post a Comment