Tuesday 17 May 2011

Oh Bugger

Why is it that all my projects seem to start with "oh bugger"?
I'm not so sure as to what I'm most scared about this time; the challenge, the cost, or the wife (who I havent yet told about what ive done)

Having recently finished completely rebuilding a 1991 Vespa 125PX, Ive rather fallen in love with it.  And to further cement my bond with it, I rode it to Italy and back.  There was no reason in the World as to why I should ever want another scooter in my life.  With my Vespa, I am complete.
However, it turns out that while I was blogging about the Vespa rebuild and Italian ride, people were actually reading my gushing love for my PX125, so much so that since then 3 friends have gone out and bought themselves scooters, and 2 more are just about to order theirs too - Falling in love with scooters is catching!
Now one of these people happens to be my brother, John, and he seemed to get a little carried away with things and ended up buying an old scooter that I'd never heard of - A Garelli Capri Monaco.  Madness I thought - why would anyone ever want a rare old rust bucket that you cant get parts for? 

But remember this is still a 'scooter' and scooters appear to have some sort of hypnotic effect on people - regardless of their oddities.  Over the following few weeks while I was enjoying buzzing around on my PX, I found I was becoming increasingly interested in the progress of this Garelli basket case - John was doing a good job of slowly bringing it back to life, and in a strange turn of events, he was now inspiring me to think about older scooters too.  And so to ebay.

The trouble is with the ebay iphone app is its too darn easy to search and place bids.  I simply searched for 'vintage scooter' - and lo and behold! someone was selling a little collection of "barn find" restoration projects.  I liked the shape of one of them - though I'd never heard of the make - and I bid.

I was in the Waitrose fruit isle with my dad when I recieved the confirmation email telling me that I had 'won' this (apparent) "classic rare old scooter"
I still have no idea of what it was really.  or if its all there.  But I am now £206 lighter and own a "Very rare Manurhin Concorde scooter"...... and I need to find a way to tell my wife.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. The restored ones are things of beauty. More piccies please!
    Scotty

    ReplyDelete