Sunday 29 May 2011

Making more connections

A couple of days ago while browsing the web trying to find out more about my machine I came across the DKW owners website and dropped them a speculative email to see if they knew of anyone into Manurhins.

I had a very nice reply from Richard who started off by saying;
"These scooters are few and far between in our club and in the UK as a whole I think"


Like everyone else I talk to he also suggested ebay (France, Germany and Holland) but he also suggested getting to the Netley Marsh Autojumble in September - which sounds like a jolly nice weekend away.


Another potential line of enquiry that Richard opened for me was the fact that Manurhins were imported into the UK by "AFN Ltd" - I did some google searching but didn't get to anything very useful - However, I was interested to read that AFN was Archibald Frazer-Nash (he of the fabulous 6 cylinder chain-driven prewar racing cars)  AFN went on to import and assemble BMWs, and finally got sold to Porsche.  While the link to importing and selling European vehicles seems possible that they might have dealt Scooters too, I find it rather incredulous that a company would have precision sports cars AND pathetic scooters in the same portfolio.


Richard closes by teasing me with "there should be someone out there breaking them" - Arrgh - another night of tossing and turning wondering how on earth I am going to find these people

No comments:

Post a Comment