Monday 31 October 2011

Wobble of confidence

I felt really low about this project over the weekend.  This really is a hopeless case.  Every part of the bike is buggered, and it really isn't worth the effort to try and fix - it certainly isn't worth the financial cost.

I enjoyed working on the engine.  That seemed like a worthy challenge - to try and bring the heart of a machine back to life.  And once I had it up and running I was rather keen to see if I could put it into the frame and fix up some wheels and see it I could get it moving.
I managed to control my disappointment last week when I realised that my rear wheel was not original and needed replacing, and I pressed on with preparing other parts.  However, there are only so many knock-backs a man can take

I had turned my attention to the front wheel and stripped the hub and brake assembly (which to this point I hadn't looked at closely) and as I removed the Huret speedo worm drive and found it to be smashed, my heart sunk and for the first time I questioned whether it was all worth while.  There must be a point where a smart man would cut his losses and move on to more valuable things to do with his time and energy.

I didn't know wether to laugh or cry.
I walked away from it all for a while and went and did some gardening chores..... but eventually (inevitably?) I was drawn back to the garage.
Deep breath.
Press on.





I'm still not really sure about this project.  I am fast exceeding my budget, and if I am going to have to replace every little part that some bodger in the past has fucked up then I will simply grind to a financial halt.  I love tinkering in the garage, and so for this reason I shall continue to do what I can - but whatever I do, this project is certainly not a "restoration" - at most it will only ever a "resuscitation" - anything else simply isn't worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment