Tuesday 11 October 2011

Nuts and Bolts

I started writing this blog to keep my dad up to date with my Manurhin project.  As time has gone on, I've found a small group of people who appear to enjoy reading about the trials and tribulations of trying to bring this sorry machine back to life.
Some of these people are restoring their own Manurhin scooters and for them, I like to make reference to the documents I've used, the problems I've solved and the suppliers I've found.

Recently I had need to buy some special screws, and really struggled to find an engineering nuts & bolts stockist with a trade counter.  Where have these centers of engineering communities gone?  Where are the knowledgeable old gentlemen in their brown cow-gowns who could find just the right bolt for any problem you might put on their counter?
After a little searching, I managed to find 2 such businesses who when I phoned said no, they wouldn't mind if I arrived asking for 3 bolts.  One incidentally was run by a lady..... from her house! - There's the modern engineering world for you!

The other company was run by a single chap from a tatty old industrial unit hidden among several huge car-breaking yards.  As he was searching for the parts I wanted, we chatted about his business and the way it was changing; going one of two ways.  Nuts & bolt suppliers were either bagging bolts and selling them for pennies on eBay, or they were servicing the specials market (He held up an impressive £40 nut, the size of a grapefruit for the MoD).  Then he asked me what my 3 bolts were for and I told him about the Manurhin and how I liked to write on my blog about the interesting and helpful people I have met while solving the many problems I encounter.
"Let me stop you there" he said
"Don't tell anyone about my place"
I thought he might be concerned about his MoD customer.
"I don't want any more people turning up here asking for 3 bolts here and 2 nuts there.  Its just not worth my while."
I paid him my 2 quid and left.

1 comment:

  1. On a slightly different note. I needed a wood based product. Found it in a black country yard/ trade counter. Only to be told £25 minimum order. I was only buying £10 worth so no sale. Troubling.

    ReplyDelete