Sunday 16 October 2011

Starting the engine

I went to a scooter fair this morning in the hope that I might find that elusive bit of ducting that goes over the cylinder head.  It was a wasted trip.  Although the event was massive, it was a complete "Lambrespa" fest.  Other than a completely knackered Zundapp Bella, there was not an unusual scooter bit to be seen.
So I dashed home determined to take one more step toward bringing a rare machine back to the world.

Now my engine is all mounted up on a test bench, it seemed only sensible to see if I could start her.  I cobbled up a little fuel reservoir, and gave it a yank.
Doh!  I yanked too hard and promptly yanked the starter rope right out.  Boy, was I mad with myself.  I obviously hadn't swaged the end-cap on the wire tight enough.  Grrr, It wasn't a difficult job to do first time round, but it was a pain in the ass this time round as I would rather have been trying to start the engine.

Finally I was ready.  Would it run?
Would it run!?  First bloody pull!!  :-)))


She stalled a couple of times, but restarted ok.  There was heaps of white smoke (but I had purposely made an oil rich mix).  Eventually however it refused to start.  The carb was flooded and the cylinder soaking in fuel - I'm guessing the carb float is sticking, but who cares right now? She starts!  And that is quite amazing when you consider its been made up of a load of different parts that have never worked together before.
I wonder when the last time was that this engine ran? its got to be at least 30 years ago.  I am so amazed (and quietly delighted ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment