Sunday 28 August 2011

Back in Blighty - Empty-handed, but with a clear plan

Well that was a lovely long holiday we had touring the homelands of DKW and Manurhin.
Did I see any DKWs or Manurhins?  Not a sausage.
Was I being naive to think that there might be a couple of classics out there?  Afterall when you visit Italy, you can pretty well be sure of seeing an old Vespa or two (though admittedly, even they are becoming few and far between these days).
I know that there are Manurhins and parts out there in France, because they come up on online auction sites, but they dont appear to come out onto the roads or even flea-markets.  In most towns I would ask someone if they knew of a scooter mechanic or a scrap-yard nearby.  Everyone knew of something 'scooterish' but only modern stuff - in fact I was surprised as just how few people had ever even heard of a Manurhin scooter.  I was under the impression that Manurhins were manufactured in sufficient enough numbers to have been popular and well known.

The bottom line is that while I was disappointed not to have bought back with me a heap of parts bought from flea-markets for a few Euros, I did have a wonderful holiday and while resting on the beach and roof-top terraces, I did formulate a clearer plan for my own Manurhin rebuild.

I also left the continent with a very strong feeling that as someone trying to bring an old Manurhin back to life, I was doing a 'good' thing.  They are a rare thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment