Sunday 25 September 2011

Beltomatic assemblies

With the engine all in pieces and waiting for parts to arrive, I decided to occupy myself with overhauling the Beltomatic (I love that word) drive assemblies;  after-all, its all very well making the engine run sweetly, but if the power isn't going to transmit reliably then the whole thing is a waste of time.

This is an ingenious piece of design and engineering that requires springs and counterweights and bearings and sliding bits.  I only hope it performs as well as it looks like it should.

There was nothing particularly complicated about stripping it down.  There is a retaining circlip on the primary assembly that wasn't compatible with my circlip pliers, but nothing that a couple of screwdrivers and a little patience couldn't handle.  I was surprised to find that the needle rollers on the primary drive are held in an alloy cage, and even more surprised to see that the cage was still in good condition.  There were a number of "compensating washers" taking up the lateral movement in the assembly - I have no idea what the factory setting should be for this slack or if my compensating washers are still appropriate, and so I shall reassemble as found and see how she fairs.

After a complete strip and jolly good clean down (its amazing how much the accumulated crud can restrict the ease of flyweight movement) I spray painted the drive plates with Smooth Black Hammerite.
Definitely a job worth doing as the assemblies feel so much more free now, and I am confident that all the parts that will require lubrication can now get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment