Sunday 11 September 2011

Bearing extraction

So I managed to get the crankshaft bearings out of the engine casings with a little bit of jigging and extracting, and I think Ive found a chap who can supply new bearings to suit (I will get round to seeing him over the next couple of weeks).
The only bearing left now to extract is the one that came out of the casing still firmly attached to the crankshaft, and I am buggered if I can get it off.  The trouble is that it is so closely up against the counterweights that I cant get an extractor or a purchase behind the bearing.  I've tried some heat and clamping in a vise, but no joy (actually I'm not convinced that heat is going to help because I cant heat it without heating the shaft too, which seems to defeat the point)

So what to do?
Well, I decided in the end to leave it for a while, let some penetrating oil do its job and spend some time incubating on the problem while I overhauled the clutch assemblies.
All suggestions on how to remove this bearing will be gratefully received :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment