Monday 5 March 2012

rubber bits

There are a number of rubber bits on this bike; predominantly chassis, body, seat mountings (and an internal mud-flap) - and mine are all a bit tatty, so I decided to replace them with new.

As seems to be normal around here lately, the industrial rubber suppliers I used to know of (15 years ago) are either no longer in existence or gone all too-big-for-a-trade-counter.  But it wasn't long before Google linked me through to Central Rubber & Gaskets Ltd.  John at central rubber was great.  He had exactly what I needed and he cut it to size too (And he can diecut gaskets to order too.... which could be very useful to know about in future)







And while we are on the subject of Rubber, we have an interesting conversation going on at the moment on the Manurhin Scooter Interest Group member site.  The rear suspension on the Manurhin and DKW Hobby is nothing more than compression of a couple of 65mm diameter rubber blocks.  Mine appear to be in good condition..... but how would I know if they were as good as they were on the day they they were made?  How would anyone know if they had the same cushioning properties today as they had when they were designed?  Does rubber age-harden?
I'm looking forward to taking my scooter for a ride to see just how these rubber perform.  But if I don't like the ride quality..... What can I do about it?

1 comment:

  1. what a great blog. I bought a DKW Hobby for £7.00 in 1965, my first bike. Lovely little scoot only weak point was the reccoil start and I think u will find difficult to get a new one as they break. Took my DKW to see a Manhurin for sale and was able to compare. Manhurin seemed a little smoother and elec switch worked well. Rear supension is fine, used mine 2 up with no prob, remember she's just a 75cc auto scooter.

    ReplyDelete