Monday 12 March 2012

Lets do electrics.... maybe

I had planned to "Do the electrics" this weekend just gone.  How naive can a man be?
You don't just 'DO the electrics'.  You have to DO (at the same time) the switch brackets, the grommet selection, the engine fitting, the cable routing etc etc etc.   Its all a bit 'the-knee-bone-is-connected-to-the-thigh-bone-the-thigh-bone-is-connected-to-the...etc etc"

To make things even more difficult for myself;   1) I don't have an original loom to work from, 2) I don't have original handle bar switches, 3) I want to fit indicator lights.  And so I am inventing my own wiring diagram and loom

Within an hour of springing out of bed and boldly declaring that I was "going to DO the electrics today",  I was back at the vice making brackets to hold the rubber strips in place,  so I could fit the leg-shield,  so I could calculate the cable runs......

Sorting out the electrics is going to be a longer job than I'd anticipated!

The rubber side strips that get sandwiched between the leg-shield and the chassis are held in place with 6 metal clips.  Mine original ones were rusted beyond re-use, and so I made some new ones out of mild steel sheet.  Ideally I should have had them zinc-plated, but I can tell you now - even with the best will in the world, I suspect my metal brackets wont rust away in the time I get to ride this bike! (and besides Waxoyl is the wonder rust-preventer).


And then there was the bracket for the after-market footbrake switch that needed to be made and fitted.

The more astute Manurhin geek might notice my foolish mistake in this picture (I hope there is only one!)  When making up my new rubber mounting strips, I had assumed (I should never assume) that there was 2 transverse rubber strips.  One at the front, and one at the rear.  The fact that there wasn't a rear one on the bike when I stripped it didn't seem to register with me, and it wasn't until I was trying (and failing) to bolt the body-cowl hinge-plate down that I realised that there isn't supposed to be a rear rubber strip! Doh!

No comments:

Post a Comment