Monday 13 February 2012

How to register an old scooter

My bike was found in a barn stripped of all its registration identification - a suspected victim of number-plate trading.  I should be thankful I suppose that the frame number and engine number still existed - I've heard of people grinding those off as well.
So how do I go about getting it verified as an original motorcycle and applicable for an age-related number-plate?

Old Bike Mart ("The autojumble in your armchair") has a fascinating column called "Unearthed" in which motor historian Mike Worthington-Williams helps readers research the origin of their strange and unusual rusty old motorbikes.  I emailed Mike a while back and asked if he might be able to help with the authentication of my scooter.  It took me a little while to get round to it, but in the end I collated 16 pages of 'evidence' that I could send to Mike that might help him verify that my scooter is indeed original and give it an official age.

Mike is the Chairman Emeritus of the Society of Automotive Historians in Britain (UK Chapter),  so I guess if anyone knows, Mike knows.  His service costs a very reasonable £30, and he can turn a response round in 24 hours!
And so last week I received from Mike an official (recognised by the DVLA) dating certificate for my Manurhin scooter.  I was rather pleased.  My scooter is now officially recognised as a 1958 model.

But now what?  How do I apply for a registration number?  Well Mikes service also includes a step by step guide to the application process.  In essence;
1.  Sign a V55/5 (Mike had filled this all in for me)
2.  Get the bike MOT'd and insured. [and this is the bit that surprised me - I can get the scooter MOT'd and insured by using the frame number as the VIN number]
3.  Fix an appointment with your local Vehicle Registration Office.  Take along all your documents, including the dating certificate, and they will issue an age-related registration number (for a fee of £55)

Sweet.  As simple as that.  So all ive got to to do is get the bike on the road and to an MOT center....... hmm not quite so simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment