Saturday 18 February 2012

Engine air-duct

A very obvious missing part from my engine is the air ducting that fits over the cylinder head and directs the cooling air flow blown by the magneto/flywheel.  Obvious as it is, not having it doesn't actually stop you from running the engine and so when I was working to get the engine started, I didn't really worry about it - and as I say, it didn't stop me from getting the engine fired up.

However, having seen the video of me running the engine, a fellow Manurhin owner, Francois, in France warned me that because of the poor cooling design of the engine, you should always run the engine with the "complete air-intake and starter casing", or else the engine can over heat and seize.

Since then, Ive been playing with the idea of either sourcing an original one or fabricating my own.  I've seen them come up now and again on eBay and Leboncoin.fr, but with an eye on my budget I decided that I'd make one to see me right until I was rich enough to buy an original one one-day.


So armed with 3 photos of an original duct, some cardboard, and a roll of masking tape I went about mocking up a pattern.  Generally speaking, its a pretty simple cone that bolts to the starter case;  pretty simple that is until you get to the shaping required to avoid fouling the carburetor.  It wasn't long before I was getting a bit frustrated with tight internal bends and I wondered if it might actually be a better idea to bite the bullet, spend some cash and buy the real thing.  So there and then, in the garage, I got onto eBay (what? you don't have wifi in your garage??) and found the chap selling a duct in Germany.  His was a little beaten up but at £20, not a bad price I thought.  I was just about to click to buy when I saw the message "Item does not ship to GB"!  What?  What's GB done to deserve this mean snub?




Well that was it - The challenge was on.  I would have a duct in spite of someone refusing to sell me one.


 A few hours later, I was the proud (?) owner of a good-enough air duct.  It should certainly see me good to start with, and with a quick powder-coat, shouldn't look too silly either

No comments:

Post a Comment