Wednesday 31 August 2011

Crankshaft out

When I first acquired my Manurhin, I said I'd just brush the rust off and drive it around as found.... I was soon to discover that half the ancillary parts were missing, so I had to adjust my objective.

As I searched (and found) the bits and pieces needed to get my engine running, I said I'd just bolt the missing bits back on and see how it ran.  I was very keen to get the machine on the road...... However, a break away from the bench and some time to think on the beach has made me realise that this approach might be a bit foolish and so I resolved to strip the engine properly, put new bearings and oil seals in and make a proper job of it.  And at the same time get that knackered crankshaft/flywheel pin/woodruff attended to.

Yesterday I spent a much needed couple of hours in the garage with spanners and oil (Funny how I need that garage time as much as I need a holiday) and I extracted the crankshaft.






The engine casing bolts came out very easily and with the help of a simple homemade extractor/puller, I gently (and easily) pulled the small crankcase half off the shaft.  Then with the same puller tool on the larger crankcase half I gently extracted the other side of the crankshaft.  Very calm, very gently, nice and easy.

First inspection of the crank looks encouraging.  The big end feels good (Im refering to Dan - of Gransport - expert technique of checking big ends) The small end I might need a second opinion, but its not bad.
The rings are gummed into the piston so Ive left that to soak in some penetrating oil in the hope they will pop out eventually

I have to say I was very excited to see some reference numbers on the side of the crankshaft counter balance... And a date!  1958. This is the first sign of a date i have on the bike (I have no paper work and no history for the bike to help me date it.  Although i have them, the chassis numbers are still a mystery to me and give me no clues as to a manufacturer date).  Now the date on the crankshaft only helps me with the ID of the Crankshaft, not necessarily of the engine, and not necessarily of the bike itself, but nevertheless I was excited :-)




But what about those other references?  What do those other numbers mean?  '0', '2', is that '24'? 'MR'? and Im not sure if it even says something like 'MAY' on there - ive tried it under different lights but I'm not sure if I'm just seeing things.  What does it all mean?


and then there is a curious mark on the outside of the counterweight (is this the right technical term?)  Is that mark intentional?  Does it signify something?  Is it a 'C'? or a 'G'?

Does anyone know?


So now the crankshaft is safely out I can get it to an engineering shop and get that pin/woodruff spark-eroded out.
And I can go and see if I can find some replacement bearings and oil-seals (fingers crossed)


No comments:

Post a Comment