Wednesday 16 May 2012

Kids, do as I say, not as I do

Been trying to get my engine running.  The bike is all set up on the bench with my new 'prototype' electrical loom in place.  I've replaced the head that I stripped (grrr :-( and I've lashed up a gravity fed fuel supply from an old baked-bean can - So why isn't she starting properly?


DKW workshop manual - note someones penciled reference
a little historical time line of all my sparkplugs

Well first up, Ive been a bit concerned about my spark plug after seeing that it doesn't seem to be long enough to reach well into the firing chamber (should it?)  I looked back at my emails to The Green Spark Plug Company who I first turned to for advice for a new sparkplug.  They were very helpful especially as they didn't know the bike and I had very limited information to offer them.  At the time (remember this was way before I had access to manuals, handbooks, and fellow Manurhin owners) the only thing I had to go on was the old spark plug in the engine.  I ASSUMED that this was an original specification [you wouldn't think that I made my living out of helping people to overcome their assumptions would you?].  Now with the benefit of workshop manuals, my assumption was in doubt

The DKW Hobby workshop manual (that I now have) suggests either BOSCH W225T1, or BERU 225/14u2 (and in the copy of the manual I have, someone has penciled CHAMPION L85 and BOSCH W5AC as well)  And just to make the whole picture even more mud-like, My scooter was fitted with an AC 44-5, and the old black manurhin that I acquired has an NGK B6HS

All this additional data is of course a good thing, but it did have me pulling my hair out for some time (interestingly, none of the owner handbooks give a sparkplug reference - though they do state an electrode gap)  Fortunately the Green Spark Plug Co have a very good comparison table on their website and so with a bit of detective work I got to a point where it dawned on me that I have been trying to run the scooter with the wrong spark plug type (it should be a 12.7mm reach and not a 9.5mm reach)  I had foolishly ASSUMED that the plug in the bike as I had bought it was of correct spec! Will I ever learn?


For sake of completion on this topic - I have now fitted an NGKB7H-S

No comments:

Post a Comment